Vomiting Green Bile : Treatment Options
A condition mostly associated with children, vomiting green bile could be a sign that your child is not eating a healthy diet. It could be a sign of acid reflux in children.
Green vomit mostly starts in infancy with most children growing out of it as they get older.
Vomiting green bile in children and adults
The combination of medication and dietary changes could help to relieve symptoms of an upset stomach. The best option is to turn to your doctor for immediate guidance and tell him all your vomiting bile symptoms.
In the event medication and dietary changes do not work, surgery could be recommended to deal with acid reflux effectively. Ignoring proper treatment could have long term effects into adulthood.
Worst case scenario, let’s say you ignore the green vomit and acid reflux. This could expose you to the most harmful effects of acid reflux, esophageal cancer and damaging the esophagus or voice box.
Below is a list of additional symptoms of throwing up green bile that call for the instant attention of an emergency room or pediatrician.
Green bile vomit symptoms and treatment
- A child becomes drowsy and is in a state of complete non-responsiveness. This does not include deep sleep or waking up from sleep. Immediately when you see this happening, seek a doctor’s attention without delaying a single second.
- The lips of a child turning to a blue color or a dusty blue. This is another indication of serious illness and you should see a doctor right away.
- In the event your child is vomiting a bright green bile, again seek immediate help . This is an indication that your child’s gut is blocked and a doctor’s attention is instantly needed. A child throwing up green bile could also be a result of green food coloring — in cake or a popsicle for example.
- If your child starts crying and then suddenly passes a stool which is red currant in color and has a consistency of jelly, this is a sign of a serious condition referred to as in-susceptibility.
- If your child starts throwing up green fluid, is having trouble breathing and his ribs noticeably stick out at times while breathing, it could be a sign of a serious ailment. If his symptoms do not reside within an hour, then call for a doctor’s attention immediately.
- A child feels extremely cold to touch and when the breast bone is pressed for about 5 seconds the skin goes pale but when released the color does not regain its normal form within 3 seconds. This needs to be attended to instantly.
- A child experiences fever for more than 5 days and remains generally unwell and miserable. This could be an indication of a condition referred to as Kawasaki. Turn.
- A child ceases to perform normal tasks he was previously known to perform and noticeably seems to regress in normal development. Do not hesitate to see a doctor as it could get much worse.
- A child loses weight constantly, and does not involve a small normal decrease over time in a growing, active child. Contact your pediatrician.
What causes green phlegm?
What causes green vomit in adults:
As the above list shows, there are many causes of green vomit. If your child gets up in the night to vomit green bile, the cause is likely more serious than eating too many sweets. A child vomiting green bile almost always calls for a doctor’s visit.
Vomiting green bile is a very dangerous sign in children (even for adults) and a medical checkup is required.